Oleśnica and its
Oleśnica is one of the oldest and most interesting Śląsk's cities. Founded at the turn of XI and XII centuries, it protected the legendary AMBER TRAIL - a mercantile trail connecting south of Europe and the Baltic Sea. In its history, reaching back to medieval times, Oleśnica turned from a small settlement to a duke's administration center and in XIV century it became a capitol of the Oleśnica Duchy. The changeability of political agreements in Europe at that time did not bypass Oleśnica, which passed from the Polish reign to Czech and German supervision, to once more become a part of Polish territory. This complexity of political and cultural influences made Oleśnica an extremely interesting conglomeration of three cultures and three nations, and in the time of uniting of the Europe it receives the rank of a center connecting EAST WITH THE WEST, which is also fostered by the placement of Oleśnica on the crossroads of the main international communication trails (international route E-67, country route no. 8) and railroad route Warszawa-Wrocław-Prague-Dresden) and international airport in Wrocław.
Taking international route no. 8 you can see from far away the most precious city's monument - the renaissance Castle of the Dukes of Oleśnica with baroque interior decorations. The castle was built on the gothic walls in years 1542-1556 as a result of renovation and extension of the previously existing castle of Oleśnica's Piasts.
Right next to the castle there is a gothic parish church under the call of St. John the Baptist, called Castle Church. It was built in the first half of XIV century. In 1998 it received the rank of lesser basilica. A small collection of old prints from the old library was preserved inside the church. The collection consists from 239 volumes containing about 800 works. Most of the prints are from XVI and XVII century, in different languages. Oleśnica's church library is one of the three known Śląsk's chain libraries and the only one in Middle-eastern Europe, which has been preserved in its original place till our times.
Grave chapel next to Castle church presbytery in Oleśnica is the only baroque mausoleum of Wirtembergs in Europe. It was built in 1689-1700. Its crypt is covered with 24 tin, copper and wooden coffins. Almost every one of them is an individual state of sepulchral art.
Oleśnica is not only charming alleys, nice and hospitable residents and rich history, but also an ideal place for trips to nearby, full of mushrooms forests or blood free hunt with binoculars at the Landscape Park in "Barycza Valley".
- city hall (1825-1826) with Nike column (1872) in Oleśnica
- baroque church under the calling of The Holy Trinity (1738-1744) in Oleśnica
- Wrocław's Gate (XIV century) in Oleśnica
- classical evangelic church under the calling of two disciples: John and Paul (1785-1789) in Sycowo, built according to the project of Carl Gotthard Langhans, the creator of famous Brandenburg Gate
- parish church under the calling of St. Catharine (XIV century) and the ruins of castle complex in Bierutowo
- Fearly-gothic branch church (XIII century) in the form of rotunda with apse in the old village of Stronia near Bierutowo
- gothic cross made from granite, called traditionally atonement cross (XIV century) in Kijowice near Bierutowo
- neo gothic parish church under the calling of Holy Mother the Helper of the Faithful (1874-1876), St. Mary's sanctuary in Twardogórze
- palace and manor-house (1845) with a park in Ostrowno, the village was duke's property in 1471
- ruins of the rococo palace, which prototype is the famous Palais Marschall in Berlin (1750), baroque church (1743) in Goszcz
- professor Stefan Białobłok's Forest Arboretum in Stradomia Dolna near Dziadowa Kłoda (huge forest garden consisting of garden of mountain plants, collection of water and protected plants, forest trees' and foreign origin tree's nursery, complex of five ponds, forest educational path and automatic meteorological station)
- collection of pieces of the Berlin Wall in Sosnówka
- ostriches' farm in Bukowina Sycowska
More information about Oleśnica is available on the website: